Thursday, July 29, 2010

Be Still.............

As a Mother of three, there are several phrases I find myself saying on a regular basis. "Sit still" & "Be quiet and listen" would have to be on top of the list. And I am not alone. A trip to a busy food court or any public place ,busy with children, will have parents whispering, loudly pleading or in some cases yelling these words on a regular basis.

There is just something about a childs unwillingness to do either of those things. And I wonder if this neccessarily changes as we get older?

As life begins to become more complex with work, family and other commitments do we allow ourselves time to sit still and listen? Or do we instead, as the waves of everyday life crash over us, pick up the pace in a mad panic simply to survive?

I am starting to wonder if God sometimes loses patience with my unwillingness to "Be still", just as I lose patience with my girls? One thing I'm grateful for is that I'm fairly confident God doesn't have a naughty corner. If he did I am sure I would be sent there on a regular basis aong with a couple of other people I know!

Driving home tonight the words of the song "Still" came into my head:

Hide me now, under Your wings.
Cover me within Your mighty hand.

Chorus:
When the oceans rise and thunders roar,
I will soar with You, above the storm
Father You are king over the flood,
I will be still and know You are God.

Find rest my soul in Christ alone,
Know his power, in quiteness and trust.

When the oceans rise
and thunders roar,
I will soar with You, above the storm
Father You are king over the flood,
I will be still and know You are God.

This song reminded me of how inportant it is to be still,and trust in God even when we we are facing the toughest storms in life, for it is then that he picks us up and helps us soar.

Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
 
In these days ahead I am going to be still and listen, just as God himself has requested fom me.
It will be a challenge,but if anyone can get me to listen God can!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment