Sunday, September 12, 2010

Putting on the armour...............

'Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.' Ephesians 6:11

Having been raised in The Salvation Army, the wearing of a uniform to church is normal and just what we do. So much so that I remember going to a different church with a friend one Sunday when I was younger and finding it quite odd that they didn't have one. There has been a lot of discussion over the years as to whether the uniform is necessary, practical, fashionable or off-putting to people who enter through our doors for the first time. Everyone, myself included, has varying opinions on the topic and at times I'm sure has been the cause of many heated discussions!!

It's actually been a number of years since I have worn uniform, and over recent months I have started to think about why I wore it and what it meant to me. I got enrolled at 14 because that was what you did. It was the natural progression in those days and somewhat expected. Also, once in uniform, you got to be in the Songsters & Band and, if you were lucky, be involved in a trip or two that may take you to another Salvo church where there might be cute boys!! ( There never was, in case you're wondering!!)

Looking back these are not the best foundation for a serious commitment. Don't get me wrong, I was fully committed, but hadn't made the decision focused on the right reasons. Tomorrow I plan to change all that. I will be wearing my uniform with pride, knowing that the reason I wear it is to be a witness for God, a beacon to those who need help, and to show my commitment in the war against evil in this world.

I will be putting my armour on, ready to fight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment